2023 Spring Production
Our 2023 Spring Production will be A Night at The MET, an MSA original script!
The Spring Production will be held on Thursday, June 15 – Sunday, June 18, 2023, at Rachel M. Schlesinger Concert Hall & Arts Center, 4915 E Campus Drive, Alexandria, VA This production is a professionally directed, fully staged musical showcasing MSA dance, theater, and music students.
ENSEMBLE INFORMATION AND AUDITIONS!
Registration Deadline is January 2nd
CLICK HERE for DANCE AUDITION
CLICK HERE for VOCAL AUDITION
WHAT IS SPRING PRODUCTION ENSEMBLE?
Participation in Metropolitan School of the Arts Spring Production Ensemble is by audition only. The Ensemble is a highly motivated and talented group of students who will perform as the main characters in the Spring Production as well as a group of dancers who carry the storyline of the show through key dance pieces. Students will be assigned as characters and/or to dance/vocal pieces based on the assignment of the directors and choreographers. Students selected to participate in the Ensemble must demonstrate a high degree of technical proficiency, exuberant stage presence, and a positive working attitude. THE ENSEMBLE PERFORMS IN ALL SIX SHOWS!
When you audition for the Ensemble, you are expected to remain professional and courteous during the entire audition process, especially upon the posting of the cast. As always, if you have any questions about your audition, we are happy to provide feedback. If you audition, you will be expected to participate in ALL pieces and/or character roles you are assigned. A student may not choose to decline a specific piece or role as choreographers and directors assume they are casting a finalized cast upon auditions. If you are only interested in participating in a limited number of Ensemble dances, please note your request on your audition form.
Ensemble Rehearsals Day/Time Options:
*Each dance will have approximately 5 hours rehearsal scheduled during one of the following slots prior to full cast run throughs in May and June:
And minimal Sundays 10:30am-5:00pm
PLEASE NOTE: Each dance/vocal ensemble will only need to rehearse approximately 2-3 weeks so this is NOT an every weekend commitment unless you are in multiple ensembles/a main character. Please anticipate mandatory full cast run through rehearsals in May and June as we approach the show! Students are expected to learn, execute, and perfect dances in short periods of time; therefore, consistent attendance is imperative. All conflicts stated on the audition form will be excused. Additional conflicts may result in loss or re-casting of role/ensemble. Dancers with unexcused absences will not be eligible to perform.
Any MSA student (ages 9+ by Sept. 30, 2022) who is currently enrolled in a dance, theater, and/or private music lesson may audition. All Auditions are IN PERSON this year. If you would like to be considered for a Main Character, you must attend both the Vocal and Dance Auditions. However, not all main characters will sing in the show.
- Dance Ensemble (age 9+ | Dance Levels 2+ and Teen Classes)
- Vocal Ensemble/Main Character (age 9+ | dance requirement dependent on specific roles)
SAVE THE DATES
- VOCAL ENSEMBLE & MAIN CHARACTER audition is Saturday, January 7. 2023 3:00-8:00pm
- DANCE ENSEMBLE audition is Sunday, January 8, 2023.
- 10:00am-12:00pm Levels 2-4
- 12:00pm-3:00pm Levels 5–7, Teen Classes
- 2:30pm-6:30pm. Levels 8-10
- 6:30pm-7:30pm. Callbacks if needed by the director
- Rehearsals will begin the weekend of JANUARY 14th!
- Tech Week (June 6-14) and Performances (June 15-18)
- There will be no formally scheduled make-up auditions, however, if you are interested in auditioning and are unable to attend the scheduled auditions, please fill out an audition application and notate your special circumstances in the space provided. Your application must be turned in by the deadline to be considered for ensemble.
ENSEMBLE ASSOCIATED FEES
- A $20 audition fee will be charged with your audition registration.
- Ensemble Participation = $200/child (charged February 15)
- Ensemble Costume = $90-$110/dance (charged March 15)
- Main Character/Supporting Character Costumes = $125-$300/role (charged March 15)
REGISTER & AUDITION DETAILS:
CLICK HERE for DANCE AUDITION
CLICK HERE for VOCAL AUDITION (NOTE: Students registering for Vocal Audition must also register for and attend the Dance Audition)
VOCAL ENSEMBLE/MAIN CHARACTER DETAILS
To audition for the Vocal Ensemble and/or Main Character (NOTE: Students registering for Vocal Audition must also register for and attend Dance Audition)
- Please dress nicely for your audition. No dance clothes or sweats! You should look your best.
- Please select one of the songs listed below to sing.
- Please select one of the monologues/scenes listed below to read.
- It is highly recommended that students be familiar with all songs and sides as a director may ask them to read an additional side or sing an additional song.
- To be considered for a Main Character, you must also attend the Dance Ensemble auditions on Jan. 8th.
AUDITION VOCAL/MAIN CHARACTER
- MUSIC – choose ONE for the audition. (Practice cut tracks)
- Not For the Life of Me
- I Think I’m Gonna Like It Here
- Meet the Plastics
- The Trolley Song
- Jailhouse Rock
- Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend
DANCE ENSEMBLE DETAILS
More details to come! Below are the styles of dance we will be casting and the team of choreographers! If you do not participate in classes for any of the styles listed, this should NOT discourage you from auditioning. You will be able to “observe” any style you are not currently studying. For instance, if you do not tap, you will observe that tap portion of the audition.
BROADWAY TAP ENSEMBLE
COMMERCIAL JAZZ ENSEMBLE
CONTEMPORARY JAZZ ENSEMBLE
HIP HOP ENSEMBLE
LYRICAL/CONTEMPORARY BALLET ENSEMBLE
PRECISION JAZZ ENSEMBLE
RHYTHM TAP/PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE
MUSIC THEATRE JAZZ ENSEMBLE
Ensemble Choreography Team: Cameron Brooks, Silvia Burstein-Hendi, Emily DiMaggio, Sara Hart, Kime Howard, Kelsey Kaufman, Chelsea Marcelin, Rosie Matthews, Lauren Odom, Charles Renato
To audition for the Dance Ensemble, you must register prior to Jan. 2nd and attend the Jan. 8th audition.
Girls, please wear a black leotard and skin-colored tights. Boys, please wear black pants and a white fitted shirt. Students who are not dressed appropriately and who do not have appropriate footwear will not be eligible to audition. Please bring all dance shoes as there will be a variety of dance styles covered at the auditions. Your hair should be in a neat, secure ponytail or bun. No jewelry may be worn to the audition.
Those attending the Intermediate & Advanced Dance Audition are encouraged to select their own appropriate dance audition attire of any color. Students who are not dressed appropriately and who do not have appropriate footwear will not be eligible to audition. Your hair should be in a neat, secure ponytail or bun. No jewelry may be worn to the audition.
To be considered for a Main Character, you must also attend the Vocal Ensemble/Main Character auditions on Jan. 7th.
Contact our Production Manager, Kim Jones, if you have any questions firstname.lastname@example.org