CONSERVATORY JAZZ & TAP DESCRIPTION
Our Conservatory Program is designed for the serious dance student who possesses a desire to make dance training a priority. The goal is to give students a rotating weekly focus in order to dive deeper into their studies, take the time to understand the mechanics, and give them the opportunity to step outside of their performance comfort zones. Monthly or weekly studies will include: composition, flexibility, jumps and turns, musicality, style, and more. Our highly professional faculty hopes to see students excel in the future with acceptance into the finest colleges, universities, and conservatories available whether they choose dance as a life goal or not. The self-reliance, commitment, and determination necessary for the individual to reach their fullest potential are necessary to flourish in the Conservatory Program.
Every child is an individual and will be treated as such. Every child develops at his or her own pace. We place students in groups based on many criteria including but not limited to: technique, adaptability, responsibility, maturity, commitment, and attitude. We will keep a watchful eye on the students throughout the year to measure their progress. Placement is always made with consideration for the student’s best interest.
EXPECTATIONS FOR CONSERVATORY JAZZ AND TAP STUDENTS
- Conservatory students are required to meet all pre-requisite or co-requisite requirements for all of their dance classes.
- We expect attendance at all classes and showcases. Three class days per year may be missed. Please send an email to the front desk informing the appropriate teacher of ANY upcoming absences.
- In the event of an injury or NON-contagious illness, conservatory students are expected to attend class and observe. Extended absences will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Conservatory students are expected to follow all dress code guidelines set forth in the MSA student handbook. No baggy clothing or midriffs please.
- Conservatory students are expected to wear hair pulled back, away from the face, and off of the shoulders.
- MSA schedules one master class weekend in the fall. This year, master class weekend will be held on Saturday, Sept 23rd and Sunday, Sept. 24th. All Conservatory students are required to attend a minimum of 2 additional required master classes per weekend. The cost of master classes will not exceed $50.00/class. These classes will be open to both MSA students and the general public.
- Conservatory classes begin on Saturday, Sept. 30th.
- Conservatory students will participate in a spring showcase. Details TBD.